Dr. Barış Akin completed his studies at the Ankara University Medical School in 1995 and attended the transplant surgery fellowship program at Ohio State University Program in between 2001 -2004. The Ohio State University Transplantation program is one of the top ten centers for kidney and pancreas transplantation in the United States.
He focused on kidney and pancreas transplantation as well as advanced laparoscopic procedures of kidney transplantation. He was certified by the American Society of Transplant Surgeons as a licensed transplant surgeon to practice Kidney and Pancreas Transplantation in United States.
To date, he has participated in 270 kidney transplantation, 260 laparoscopic donor nephrectomies, and 55 pancreas transplantation procedures during his studies at the Ohio State University. He received the “Young Investigator Award” in 2004 at the American Transplant Meeting. He returned to Istanbul in 2004 and initiated one of the first kidney transplantation programs at Florence Nightingale Hospital. He performed the first laparoscopic hand assisted donor nephrectomy procedure in Turkey.
He advanced the donor nephrectomy technique to retroperitoneoscopic hand assisted technique to enable decreased risk of abdominal organ injuries and abdominal adhesions in 2009. He performed retroperitoneoscopic donor nephrectomy in over 400 cases without any major complication. He has presented his surgical experience at International Meetings in the United States and Europe. He performed over 500 kidney transplantations during his studies in Turkey with a 95 – 97 % first year success rate. He performed over 4500 vascular access cases during his practice in Turkey.
Currently, he directs the vascular access center that performs 60 – 70 access cases per month. Barış Akin is also President of the Vascular Access Society in Turkey. Currently he is a general surgery professor at Istanbul Bilim University and the director of kidney transplantation program at Florence Nightingale University Hospital in Istanbul.
1. Balci D, Dayangac M, Yaprak O, Akin B, Duran C, Killi R, Yuzer Y, Tokat Y. Living donor liver transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma: a single center analysis of outcomes and impact of different selection criteria.Transpl Int. 2011 Nov;24(11):1075-83.
2. Dayangac M, Taner CB, Akin B, Uraz S, Balci D, Duran C, Ayanoglu O, Killi R, Yuzer Y, Tokat Y. Dual left lobe living donor liver transplantation using donors unacceptable for right lobe donation: a case report. Transplant Proc. 2010 Dec;42(10):4560-3.
3. Dayangac M, Burcin Taner C, Balci D, Memi I, Yaprak O, Akin B, Duran C, Killi R, Ayanoglu O, Yuzer Y, Tokat Y. Use of middle hepatic vein in right lobe living donor liver transplantation. Transpl Int. 2009 Oct 12.
4. Taner CB, Dayangac M, Akin B, Balci D, Uraz S, Duran C, Killi R, Ayanoglu O, Yuzer Y, Tokat Y. Donor safety and remnant liver volume in living donor liver transplantation. Liver Transpl. 2008 Aug;14(8):1174-9.
5. Balci D, Taner B, Dayangac M, Akin B, Yaprak O, Duran C, Uraz S, Hayzaran S, Ayanoglu O, Killi R, Senturk H, Yuzer Y, Tokat Y. Splenic abscess after splenic artery ligation in living donor liver transplantation: a case report. Transplant Proc. 2008 Jun;40(5):1786-8.
6. Duran C, Taner B, Dayangaç M, Akin B, Balcı D, Kurt Z, Killi R,Yüzer Y, Tokat Y. Why we did not use this donor. Liver Transplantation. Liver Transpl. 2007 Aug;13(8):1199-200.
7. Uraz S, Duran C, Balci D, Akin B, Dayangac M, Kurt Z, Ayanoglu OH, Killi R, Yuzer Y, Tokat Y. A very rare venous anomaly in a living liver donor: left hepatic venous connection to the right atrium. Transplant Proc. 2007 Jun;39(5):1714-5.
8. Pelletier RP, Akin B, Ferguson RM.Prospective, randomized trial of steroid withdrawal in kidney recipients treated with mycophenolate mofetil and cyclosporine. Clinical Transplant. 2006 Jan-Feb;20(1):10-8.
9. Akin B. Reply. Approaches to decrease radial artery vasospasm and increase blood flow through the radiocephalic arteriovenous fistula WORLD JOURNAL OF SURGERY 30 (2): 253, FEB 2006
10. Akin EB, Vitellas KM, Rajab A, Pelletier RP, Davies EA, Bumgardner GL, Henry ML, Ferguson RM, Elkhammas EA. Magnetic resonance cholangiography with mangafodipir trisodium (Teslascan) to evaluate bile duct leaks after T-tube removal in liver transplantation. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2004 Sep-Oct;28(5):613-6.
11. Rajab A, Khabiri H, Pelletier RP, Henry ML, Akin B, Elkhammas E, Bumgardner GL, Ferguson RM. Magnetic resonance angiography for preoperative evaluation of potential kidney donors. J Surg Res. 2004 Aug;120(2):195-200.
12. Tuzuner A, Kuzu MA, Akin B, Karaca S, Hazinedaroglu S. The effect of hyaluronan-based agents on adhesion formation in an intraabdominal sepsis model. Dig Dis Sci. 2004 Jun;49(6):1054-61.
13. Elkhammas EA, Henry ML, Akin B, Ferguson RM, Bumgardner GL, Davies EA, Pelletier RP, Rajab A. Simultaneous pancreas-kidney transplantation at a single center. Clin Transpl. 2003;:221-7.
14. Pelletier RP, Akin B, Henry ML, Bumgardner GL, Elkhammas EA, Rajab A, Ferguson RM. The impact of mycophenolate mofetil dosing patterns on clinical outcome after renal transplantation. Clin Transplant. 2003 Jun;17(3):200-5.
15. Akin EB, Topcu O, Ozcan H, Ersoz S, Aytac S, Anadol E. Hemodynamic effect of transdermal glyceryl trinitrate on newly constructed arteriovenous fistula. World J Surg. 2002 Oct;26(10):1256-9. Epub 2002 Sep 4.
16. Yerdel MA, Akin EB, Dolalan S, Turkcapar AG, Pehlivan M, Gecim IE, Kuterdem E. Effect of single-dose prophylactic ampicillin and sulbactam on wound infection after tension-free inguinal hernia repair with polypropylene mesh: the randomized, double-blind,prospective trial. Ann Surg. 2001 Jan;233(1):26-33.
17. Sengul N, Demirer S, Yerdel MA, Terzioglu G, Akin B, Gurler A, Tuzuner A. Comparison of coagulation parameters for healthy subjects and Behcet disease patients with and without vascular involvement. World J Surg. 2000 Dec;24(12):1584-8.
18. Yerdel MA, Karayalcin K, Koyuncu A, Akin B, Koksoy C, Turkcapar AG, Erverdi N, Alacayir I, Bumin C, Aras N. Direct trocar insertion versus Veress needle insertion in laparoscopic cholecystectomy.Am J Surg. 1999 Mar;177(3):247-9.
19. Aydinuraz K, Ersoz S, Akin B, Ensari A, Anadol E. Liver regeneration following skin transplantation in the rat: a morphometric and immunohistochemical study. Transplant Proc. 1998 May;30(3):819-21.
1. Akin B, Dayangac M, Kaya M. Optimizing Right-Sided Donor Nephrectomy: The Transition from Hand-Assisted Laparoscopic to Retroperitoneoscopic Approach. American Transplant Meeting, June 2012, Boston, USA
2. Akin B, Sezer E, Kaya M, Dayangac M, Saridogan J, Celik V. Does retroperitonoscopic nephrectomy increase the risk for lymphocele formation? 15th Congress of the European Society for Organ Transplantation, September 2011, Glasgow, Scotland
3. Akin B, Kaya M, Bas K, Dayangac M, Piskin T, Celik V. Switch from laparoscopic to retroperitonoscopic hand assisted donor nephrectomy. 15th Congress of the European Society for Organ Transplantation, September 2011, Glasgow, Scotland
4. Balcı D, Taner B, Dayangaç M, Akin B, Kurt Z, İzzet M, Duran C, Uraz S, Sen H, Ayanoğlu Ö, Killi R, Yalçın L Yüzer Y, Tokat Y. Living donor transplantation for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma: Expanded criteria or more. Poster sunum kabul edildi. 13th International Congress of ILTS, Brazil, June 2007.
5. Dayangaç M, Taner B, Balcı D, Kurt Z, Akin B, Duran C, Ayanoğlu Ö, Yüzer Y, Tokat Y. Impact of inflow occlusion in adult right lobe living donor transplantation. Oral sunum kabul edildi (23 Şubat 2007). 13th International Congress of ILTS, Brazil, June 2007.
6. Balcı D, Taner B, İzzet M, Dayangaç M, Akin B, Kurt Z, Duran C, Sen H, Negi S, Ayanoğlu Ö, Yüzer Y, Tokat Y, Yalçın L. Arterial reconstruction in living donor liver transplantation: analysis of 100 consecutive cases with one arterial thrombosis. Oral sunum kabul edildi (23 Şubat 2007). 13th International Congress of ILTS,Brazil, June 2007.
7. Taner B, Dayangaç M, Balcı D, Kurt Z, Akin B, Uraz S, Duran C, Smadi S, Yüzer Y, Tokat Y. Donor safety with the inclusion of middle hepatic vein in living donor liver transplantation. Poster sunum kabul edildi (23 Şubat 2007). 13th International Congress of ILTS, Brazil, June 2007.
8. Taner B, Dayangaç M, Akin B, Balcı D, Kurt Z, Ayanoğlu Ö, Duran C, Killi R, Uraz S, Yüzer Y, Tokat Y. First dual left lobe liver transplantation in Turkey. Poster sunum kabul edildi (23 Şubat 2007). 13th International Congress of ILTS,Brazil, June 2007.
9. Akin EB, Uraz S, Balci D, Dayangaç M, Kurt Z, Duran C, Ayanoğlu Ö, Killi R, Yüzer Y, Tokat Y. Small-for-size graft liver transplantation, can smaller size grafts be used? LIVER TRANSPLANTATION 12 (5): C34 MAY 2006
10. Uraz S, Deniz B, Akin B, Dayangaç M, Kurt Z, Duran C, Killi R, Yüzer Y, Şentürk H, Tokat Y.Orthotopic liver transplantation for hepatic hemangioendothelioma. LIVER TRANSPLANTATION 12 (5): C49 MAY 2006
11. Balci D, Akin B, Dayangac M, Kurt Z, Uraz S, Şentürk H, Yüzer Y, Tokat Y. Hepatitis B prophylaxis using combination of low dose hepatitis B immunglobulin and lamivudine in liver transplantation. LIVER TRANSPLANTATION 12 (5): C68 MAY 2006
12. Duran C, Akin B, Balci D, Dayangaç M, Kurt Z, Taman Ö, Killi R, Yüzer Y, Tokat Y. The role of MRCP in assessing biliary anatomy in adult-to adult living related liver transplant donors. LIVER TRANSPLANTATION 12 (5): C97 MAY 2006
13. Akin B, Ferguson RM, Pelletier RP Five year follow-up after steroid withdrawal demonstrates no evidence of worsening renal function. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF TRANSPLANTATION 4: 298 510 Suppl. 8 2004
14. Pelletier RP, Akin EB, Bumgardner GL, Rajab A, Elkhammas EA, Henry ML, Ferguson RM. Mycophenolate mofetil dose reduction influences clinical outcome following kidney transplantation. American Transplant Congress 2002. American Journal of Transplantation.2 (Suppl 3): 467, 2002.
15. Akin EB, Kocak S, Karaca S, Kir M, Aydintug S, Baskan S. Adrenal cell auto transplantation: Functional evaluation, the rat model. Sözlü sunum, World Congress of Surgery 2001.
16. Akin EB, Topçu Ö, Özcan H, Ersöz S, Aytaç S, Anadol E. Haemodynamic effect of transdermal nitroglycerine on newly constructed arteriovenous fistula. Sözlü sunum, World Congress of Surgery 2001.
17. Gregoric I, Akin EB, King R, Adams P, Kapusto M, Frazier OH, Moore FA. Blunt popliteal artery injury: A multispeciality challenge. The Western Trauma Association 30th Annual Scientific Meeting. Squaw Valley, Lake Tahoe, California. Journal of Trauma. 48(1):197, 2000.
18. Yerdel MA, Akin EB, Dölalan S, Sahin F, Pehlivan M, Erkek B, Ersoy Ö, Turkçapar AG, Kuterdem E. Prophylaxis with Ampicilline-Sulbactam prevents wound infections after prosthetic inguinal hernia repair 21st International Hernia Congress, Madrid-Spain, Hernia, 3 (Supple 2), 1999.
19. Aydıntuğ S, Koçak S, Akin EB, Baskan S. Should we perform completion thyroidectomies? 38th World Congress of Surgery, Vienna - Austria, Abstract book, p: 229, 1999.
20. Yerdel MA, Akin EB, Türkçapar AG, Pehlivan M, Erkek B, Kuterdem E. Prophylaxis with ampicillin-sulbactam prevents wound infections after prosthetic inguinal hernia repair. European Congress of Surgery. Budapest - Hungary, British Journal of Surgery, 85(Suppl 2): 104, 1998. a